Prairie Sweetheart Apiary is located in the Charleswood area of Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Nearby forage sources include Assiniboine Forest, Assiniboine Park, the Leo Mol Gardens, Assiniboine River and more.
This apiary manages Carniolan honey bees, a subspecies of the western honey bee.
These bees are generally darker in appearance and originate from the Austrian Alps, Yugoslavia and Danube Valley regions. They are incredibly gentle and easy to work with.
Due to their region of origin they are more likely to forage on cold, wet days than other types of bees and rank among the best for overwintering.
Currently, we have five hives going into the 2021 bee season (and 10 nucs, all sold). Queens are Georgia, Jalepeno, Adeline, Fanny, India and Beatrice.
- Think like a bee! Figure out what they intend to do and then help them get it done.
- Supply a nearby, constant water source.
- Provide regular care and maintenance of hives. Check every seven to 10 days during peak season.
- Handle frames with care and try not to unnecessarily kill even one bee during checks.
- Make sure you are responsibly managing swarms.
- Know your mite count and treat accordingly.
- Check for disease and treat effectively with the least invasive methods.
- You can make mistakes, just don’t make the same mistake twice.